Monday, 28 March 2011

IVFDF 2011 - Bristol

Feb 25th-27th was the Inter-Varsity Folk Dance Festival in Bristol. Last year it was in Durham and we went and loved it, so we were back for more! Especially since it was on our doorstep this time. Next year's is in Aberdeen, so not sure we'll make it that far... but it is very tempting. :)
Basically (for those who don't know) it's a whirlwind weekend of folk dance - workshops, ceilidhs and a morris tour, where the idea is to dance as much as humanly possible and sleep as little as you can get away with. Of course, with Dominic in tow we took things quite gently but we still had a fab time. Here are a few photos...


This is Jess and her friend George dancing at the Friday night ceilidh. Dominic stayed with some friends that evening and Fraser and I made the most of it by dancing pretty much every dance! Probably our favourite part of the weekend.


A Balkan folk dance workshop (you can spot Jess on the far side). Lots of fun and harder than it looks! When you get the steps wrong when you're holding other people's hands like that you're liable to pull over half the circle. :D I also did a singing workshop where we were learning four part harmonies by ear, which was easier than I thought it would be and very satisfying.


Me and Jess fooling around between workshops, I was convinced I could fit her in the baby carrier... :D


Flash-morris! All of the morris sides dancing the same dance at the same time in Millenium Square.


Fraser (with Dominic on his front) and Jess dancing some gentle Playford dances. A lot less bouncy than ceilidh dancing so easier to do with a toddler strapped to you. Later that evening me and Jess did some super twirly Contra dancing.


I didn't actually take very many photos over the weekend, but you can see some of Jess' photos here. We had such a great time and will definitely be seeking out some more ceilidhs over the coming months if we can...

No comments:

Post a Comment