Sunday, 15 July 2012

Oldbury Court Park

aka Vassalls Park. Everyone who has lived in Bristol for a long time calls it Vassalls Park, but it is now known as Oldbury Court Park. Took a while for me to cotton on that they were the same place!

We went there last Monday, technically to meet up with a group of other people, but I arrived late and couldn't get hold of them by phone so we went on our own little adventure. I've been here a couple of times before but only just really worked out that I can get there very easily (15 mins by bus, £1 each way), so I think we will come more often now.

An awesome gate I saw on the way to the park. Someone had knitted little covers for all the rungs - I want to have a gate like this now! They also had lots of really colourful mobiles strung up in the window made from what looked like jar lids. I didn't want to trepass in their garden to get a better look...

We began our walk over a little bridge looking down on a stream. I had done the same route the first time we came to this park aaaaages ago, but in the reverse direction. I remembered that it had a set of steps, but I figured I could manage lifting the pushchair down one set of steps. My memory was obviously having a laugh...

 Robin in the sling

Some rocks

Climbing and exploring - I left the pushchair down on the path and joined Dominic.

Bird's eye view of Robin

A little cave we climbed up to

So... after we had done our climbing and gone back down to the pushchair, we went back to the path and down to the set of steps I remembered. That took us down to a stretch of path along the river and I knew we could make a circuit and come back out by the playpark. I hadn't reckoned on lots of rough ground, several sets of steps and GALLONS of mud! I pretty much carried the pushchair the whole of this section. This picture shows some stone steps (yes, they are under the mud somewhere I promise) and Dominic watching the river. It was a bit crazy, but fun.

My leg and my pretty purple shoes all muddified :)

At last! Back on tarmac!

We stopped for a very well deserved lunch break. Robin isn't quite old enough for eating yet, but he grabbed this half eaten apple right out of my hands and started sucking away enthusiastically. 

Back at the playpark, we cleaned ourselves up a bit and got down to some serious playing. This park has a fantastic water and sand play area, here is Dominic cranking some water up the spirally bit.

Bare feet

The sand area with the tiny kids play bit in the background.

Robin having a sleep in the pushchair while Dominic and I play.

More play equipment

The amazing pirate ship

We had the park almost to ourselves until the schools finished and then it filled up more and we stayed 'til about 5ish, so a lovely full day out. There was more equipment that isn't on my pictures too, including stuff for older kids and adults - a zipwire and exercise bike etc. It really is a fab park. Plus there is a lot more pathway along down by the river, but I think if I brave that I might go without a pushchair...

No comments:

Post a Comment